What we do
Our mission is to prevent human trafficking through awareness-raising, education and advocacy. Our approach is to encourage youth voices and generate an “echo” to put the business of human trafficking out of business. Our activities include:
- Raising awareness about human trafficking in a manner that the youth can understand, and investing in programs that sensitize and benefit the youth and people of all ages;
- Promoting youth initiatives and activities that contribute to combating human trafficking;
- Engaging the youth in developing activities, discussions and tools that contribute to combating human trafficking;
- Acknowledging and communicating worldwide, positive youth initiatives that contribute to combating human trafficking.
We carry out these activities by organizing youth events and linking them with the relevant associations — organizing youth conferences, closed workshops, and public events.
Our value-added includes:
- 20+ years’ experience with humanitarian associations;
- A large network of key associations, companies and the media; and
- Strong social media expertise and reach.
We have two types of contributors:
- Youth contributors (“Youth Undergrounders”), through their time, creativity, ideas, support and actions; and
- Private and institutional donors, who help us back this youth community.
Click here to donate.
Youth Underground is the voice of the youth for a world without human trafficking. It is a global information-sharing and referral platform, a knowledge and youth hub, to showcase initiatives against human trafficking by the youth, as advocates of change and defenders of human rights across age and frontier. Youth Underground is a sounding board for the youth to express themselves, speak out freely about human trafficking, and share their news and campaigns from their regions of the world.
Why the youth? Because they are not only the prime victims of human trafficking but are also those who speak out against this illicit trade and influence their peers as well as adults, namely teachers and parents.
Today, child slavery is at an all-time high. An estimated 5.5 million children around the world are losing their childhood to human trafficking. The youth are victims of different types of trafficking from an early age (often as young as five years old), such as forced labor, sexual exploitation, domestic servitude, as soldiers, as drug dealers, begging, and in forced marriages. But the youth are also activists and change-makers. This is not only a two-way learning experience but also an opportunity to hear what young people have to say, and take their thoughts and concerns on board.
Interested in showcasing what you’re doing? Spreading your word? Sharing your creativity? Seeking advice? Finding answers? Then Youth Underground is the right platform for you.
While Youth Underground’s objective is to raise awareness about human trafficking in a manner that young people can understand, it is also intended for all ages to share information about human trafficking and to highlight the value of a human life.